Updated: February 13, 2020 12:37 PM
Created: February 13, 2020 12:30 PM
(NBC) — About 50,000 children go to the emergency room each year for poisoning, after swallowing prescription pills.
A new study from The Journal of Pediatrics suggests adults in the house may be to blame.
Researchers looked at nearly 4,500 calls to five poison control centers involving a young child swallowing prescription medication.
More than half of those children got into medication that had been removed from its original child-proof packaging. Many times, adults had placed pills into daily pill organizers which are easy to open. The pills would also be left out on a counter, put in small baggies for travel or accidentally dropped on the ground.
Experts advise keeping medication in a child-proof container and storing it out children’s reach.
If an accident does occur, the poison help number is 800-222-1222.
Copyright 2020 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company