Greece house fire kills family dog, resident jumps out window to safety

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — A homeowner in Greece is in stable condition after a house fire on Berkshire Drive.

Firefighters say they got to the scene around 8:40 Thursday morning and the man was on the roof. After he heard smoke alarms he jumped from a window on the second floor onto the porch roof.

The homeowner was brought to a hospital after inhaling smoke, but the family dog died in the fire.

The fire is currently under investigation and The American Red Cross is working to help the homeowner.

Officials say this fire is a prime example of the importance of working smoke detectors that serve as critical warning systems during an emergency. Those who need help getting a working smoke detector can reach out to the American Red Cross.