May 04, 2018 06:24 PM
Charges are in the carbon monoxide deaths of Joan Gilman, 38, and her son RJ, 14. The Kendall residents were poisoned by fumes from a generator.last month.
Orleans County district attorney and undersheriff say David Wiley Jr., 39, is the one who put the generator under their apartment.
"So again, we're not alleging that he intentionally went out to kill the victims here. But we are alleging that his reckless and criminally negligent conduct was at such a gross level that it constituted a violation of our penal law," states Joe Cardone, Orleans Co DA.
Brean: You obviously talked to him. Is he apologetic about what happened?
Jeff Gifaldi, Orleans Co. Sheriff's Office: Yes, during the interview he was very remorseful.
The undersheriff says Wiley ran the generator for 17 hours straight and the level of carbon monoxide in Joan Gilman and her son was 4 to 5 times the level that would kill someone.
Undersheriff Christopher Bourke, Orleans Co. Sheriff's Office: The levels reached the point where they couldn't survive.
With unpaid bills into the thousands, the sheriff's office says national grid shut the power off on April 16.
The sheriff says Wiley hooked up a generator to power the home.
Brean: The Sheriff's office and the district attorney's office says David Wiley jr. had the generator working in the garage directly underneath where Joan and RJ were living. But here's the other thing. They say the generator was only powering the residence where Wiley was living. The only thing Joan and RJ were getting was the fumes from the generator.
Updated: May 04, 2018 06:24 PM
Created: May 04, 2018 06:20 PM
Copyright 2018 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company