Cuomo accuser Bennett says other alleged Cuomo groping incident 'preventable'

WHECTV
Created: April 09, 2021 07:01 AM

ALBANY, N.Y.— One of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's accusers and former aides claims the accused groping incident that came to light Wednesday could've been prevented.

In a statement, Charlotte Bennett says she reported the sexual harassment claim, which was highlighted in an interview with the Times Union of Albany, to Cuomo's chief of staff and special counsel.

An unnamed former staffer told the paper that Cuomo groped her and threatened retaliation if she told anyone.

Bennett claims the officials she spoke to told her the allegations wouldn't need an investigation because the governor was: "only grooming" his staffer for a sexual relationship.

Bennett says if action was taken then, other situations could've been prevented.

“The Governor’s pattern of predatory behavior is clear-cut and abhorrent, and the similarities between my allegations and the allegations of my anonymous former coworker are nauseating," Bennett said. "He abuses his authority to groom, sexually harass and grope staff. His heinous behavior was normalized and enabled by the senior staff who failed to report my allegations in June 2020. His predatory behavior must stop, and those who enable him must be brave enough to hold him accountable.”

Cuomo's attorney reiterated the governor's statement from last month claiming he never touched anyone inappropriately but apologized for making anyone feel uncomfortable.

    


Copyright 2021 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company