July 31, 2018 03:33 PM
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has issued a cease and desist letter to block the distribution of 3D gun plans.
This comes after President Donald Trump said Tuesday he is "looking into" the idea of a company providing plans for 3D plastic guns to the public.
The governor also directed state police to issue a notice reminding New Yorkers that manufacturing assault weapons, including with 3D printers, is illegal in New York.
"While the Trump administration tries to put more guns in the hands of criminals and dangerous individuals, New York is taking action to uphold our laws and keep our communities safe," Governor Cuomo said. "As the nation rises up and calls for action against gun violence, it is absurd and frightening that the federal government wants to make accessing an automatic weapon as easy as hitting print. New York is proud to have the strongest gun safety laws in the nation, and we won't let this federal government take us backwards."
Cuomo plans to pursue legislation to bolster the state's gun safety laws and outlaw private production of all 3D and so-called ghost guns that are untraceable and invisible to metal detectors.
At a news conference Tuesday, Democratic senators said Trump has the power to stop the company from making the plans available online.
The company's website says downloads will begin Wednesday, but blueprints have been posted on the site since Friday. A lawyer for the company said he doesn't know how many blueprints have been downloaded since then.
The NRA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Updated: July 31, 2018 03:33 PM
Created: July 31, 2018 03:29 PM
Copyright 2018 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company