Dad wants justice for Kendall son, mom poisoned by carbon monoxide

January 07, 2019 11:36 PM

A father is pushing for justice following the death of his 14-year-old son and the boy's mother. 

Richard Gilman Junior, known as RJ, and his mother Joan Gilman died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their home on Center Road in Kendall last spring. 


"It's hurting everybody," said father Richard Gilman.

With a deal potentially on the way for David Wiley Jr., the man police say is responsible, the dad hopes it includes time behind bars.   

Police say the teen and his mother died of carbon monoxide poisoning after Wiley Jr. ran a gas powered generator in the garage of the family's duplex for 17 hours. 

"I'm hoping the guy goes to jail because that would be deserving to him," said the dad. 

Wiley has been charged with criminally negligent homicide and reckless endangerment. 

Attorneys tell News10NBC there could potentially be a plea deal but nothing official has been agreed upon. 

"He is a contractor so he should have known not to run a generator inside a building," said the dad about Wiley. 

The court case has been adjourned until Feb. 4. 


Beth Cefalu

Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Relay Media Amp

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.