Deputies: 17-year-old girl murdered in Sodus

November 03, 2017 07:44 PM

A Sodus teenager trying to rekindle the relationship with his ex-girlfriend, instead killed her when she rebuffed his advances, investigators said.

David Knight-Hollis was locked up in the Wayne County jail Friday night on charges of second degree murder for the death of 17 year old Alyssa Taft.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

“It is domestic violence. It is dating violence,” exclaimed Wayne County Sheriff Barry Virts.  “Her refusal was unacceptable to him and he did what he did, sadly did what he did.”

The sheriff’s office reported that Hollis lured Taft to his trailer in Sodus Thursday afternoon on the pretext of returning money he owed her, then tried to convince her to resume their relationship which ended in the summer.

When she refused, “Hollis grabbed a knife and would not let Alyssa leave the residence,” Virts said.  “And when she attempted to leave, he stabbed her in the ribs and cut her throat to stop her from screaming.“

Around midnight Thursday, Alyssa’s mother called 911 to report her missing and deputies went to Hollis’ trailer and noticed blood at the scene.  It was then that Virts said, emergency dispatchers received another call, this one from Hollis himself.

 “He called 911 center and made a statement that killed a girl,” Virts said. “Then we encountered him coming out of the woods and took him into custody.“

The timing of deputies arrival proved fortuitous, according to Chris Bokelman, acting Wayne County District Attorney, because Hollis was in the process of hiding Alyssa’s body.  “There was a very quick response to the report of her being missing,” Bokelman said, “which actually Interrupted him disposing of evidence.”

"He had made an attempt to dispose of the body," the sheriff added. "But somehow that was foiled. I don't know if that was as deputies came in, but that led him to the woods."

Hollis was blank faced and silent on his way into and out of court in Sodus Friday but Virts said he gave police a full accounting of what happened. He was ordered held without bail pending a hearing on November 8th.

Bokelman indicated more charges might be possible as the case goes to a grand jury, which he predicted would happen within 45 days.


Charles Molineaux

Copyright 2017 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Relay Media Amp

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.