Advertisement

Developers moving forward with Brighton Whole Foods project

February 11, 2019 07:23 PM

BRIGHTON, N.Y. (WHEC) -- Now that a Supreme Court judge has dismissed a request to stop the Whole Foods project in Brighton, the developer is wasting no time getting the site ready for demolition.

The Daniele Family Companies says crews are already clearing the site for the demolition of the old Mario's Restaurant and Clover Lanes. 

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Construction could begin in spring and by this time next year, you could be shopping at Whole Foods Market in Brighton.

"This is three years into it. We were hoping to have the buildings up and open by now," said Danny Daniele.

Daniele is talking about the proposal to develop a plaza on Monroe Avenue with Whole Foods as the anchor store accompanied by several smaller retail outlets.

Daniele says the road has been mired in protests and legal actions aimed at stopping the project. But he hopes the company can now move forward.

"The first two rounds of lawsuits have all been dismissed along with the injunction to stop the project," he said. "Obviously the judge doesn't see much merit in the arguments they've put forth."

On Thursday, a Supreme Court judge dismissed a request to stop construction of the Whole Foods plaza.

Brighton neighbors had gone to court arguing that this project will increase the traffic in a stretch that is already challenging during peak times, compromising driver's safety.

The judge also dismissed another complaint.

Daniele says Whole Foods and Amazon were willing to fight for this location.

"They're enamored with this site," Daniele said. "They're behind us 110 percent and they've said do whatever you have to do to keep us here. We want to open up here and that's what we're doing."

Howie Jacobson represents a grassroots organization of Brighton neighbors who are against the current proposal. He says they too are willing to keep fighting.

"The important thing that happened last week, the issues that surround traffic were not dismissed," said Jacobson. "Those were the important pieces of the lawsuits anyways."

"We are disappointed," Jacobson added. "But with that said, we will be filing appeals."

Credits

Lynette Adams

Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.

Advertisement