March 11, 2019 09:59 PM
HENRIETTA, N.Y. (WHEC) - Five people were injured -- three seriously -- following a Level 1 hazmat situation Monday morning on Jefferson Road near North Winton Road.
Two other workers sustained minor injuries. There were roughly 50 people inside the building when the spill happened around 9:30 a.m.
Everyone was out of the building when Henrietta Fire crews arrived.
Henrietta Fire District's Assistant Chief Mark Cholach tells News10NBC that a chemical called MDI, used primarily to manufacture polyurethane foam used in a variety of products and industrial applications spilled out of a tank.
The building was originally owned by Schlegel Systems and had been bought Amesbury Truth, which is in the process of relocating. Workers were dismantling the operation when the spill happened. The chemical was stored in three or four tanks in the back of the building.
News10NBC has learned those tanks were cleaned out, but there was possible some chemical left in the pipes to the building. It appears the workers were overcome by vapors.
The Monroe County Hazmat Team is expected to enter the building to assess the situation.
"They will be going through the building, make sure there are no further leaks, attempt to determine where the leak came from, mitigate any further leaks, and ventilate the area for the sheriff's office for any type of investigation that needs to happen," Cholach said.
Fire officials say there is no threat to the public.
Updated: March 11, 2019 09:59 PM
Created: March 11, 2019 10:36 AM
Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company