Advertisement

Fisher-Price sued over 'deadly' sleepers

April 23, 2019 06:56 AM

(WHEC) — Did Fisher-Price know of and ignore a dangerous problem now linked to the deaths of more than 30 babies?

According to new class action lawsuits, that answer is yes. The suits claim the toymaker knew about the risks to infants well before issuing the recall for the Rock 'N Play sleeper but ignored them and sold the product anyway.

Advertisement

The lawsuits are detailed in a story from the Buffalo News.

News10NBC previously reported that more than 30 babies died while using the sleeper over a 10-year period.

Fisher-Price and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said the infants rolled over from their backs to their stomachs or sides while they were not restrained. Consumer Reports found some babies suffocated.

The American Academy of Pediatrics urged Fisher-Price and the CPSC to recall the sleepers, calling them “deadly.”

In a statement earlier this month, Fisher-Price said that it stood by the safety of its products and said it issued the voluntary recall “due to reported incidents in which the product was used contrary to the safety warnings and instructions.”

The recall covers about 4.7 million sleepers, which sold for between $40 and $149 since 2009.

Credits

Brennan Somers

Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Advertisement
Relay Media Amp

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.

Advertisement