March 11, 2019 05:57 PM
GREECE, N.Y. (WHEC) -- The 16-year-old at the center of a bomb plot investigation was back in court on Monday.
Nicholas Pheilshifter is one of four males, under the age of 21, who are accused of planning to attack a Muslim community near Binghamton.
The group also includes 19-year-old Vincent Vetromile, 20-year-old Brian Colaneri, and18-year-old Andrew Crysel. They are all facing felony charges.
At 16, Pheilshifter is the youngest of the four.
On Monday, the Monroe County District Attorney's Office argued he should be tried as an adult with the other three.
Greece Police said they found at least two working bombs in the basement of the 16-year-old's house. The group is accused of plotting to attack Islamberg, NY.
Investigators said they seized sketches of bombs, more than 20 rifles and shotguns, ammunition, and three explosive devices.
Assistant District Attorney Daniel Strollo asked the judge on Monday to keep Pheilshifter's bail at one million dollars, which the judge granted.
Strollo also asked her to keep the case in criminal court, which would allow the court to prosecute him as an adult.
The issue comes down to a matter of timing, as New York state recently passed legislation called Raise the Age.
New York state was previously one of two states that automatically prosecuted 16 and 17-year-olds as adults. Included in the 2018 budget, New York changed that to raise the age of criminal responsibility to 18 years old.
Strollo pointed out the first alleged criminal act, in this case, occurred in September of 2018, the legislation doesn't take effect until cases after October 1, 2018.
The judge will consider the arguments of both sides in the case, which will be back in court in April.
Created: March 11, 2019 05:57 PM
Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company