December 13, 2017 11:34 PM
There's a viral post going around on social media claiming a popular bath bomb is causing severe chemical burns on children.
Wednesday, we investigate to see if it's News or Noise.
Here's the post from last Thursday. It already has more than 130,000 shares.
Jennifer Renee warns parents not to buy Hatchimal Bath Bombs, writing after being in the water 30-45 seconds her daughters' skin began hurting and the kids' bath bomb caused a chemical burn.
Jennifer claims her daughter has used these bath bombs before and goes on to say she "called the company and the batch number (is) being investigated and is likely going to be recalled as numerous reports have been made."
Thanks to social media, this story is now all over the internet. Good housekeeping published an article "A doctor saying ruling out an allergic reaction just based on someone's history using similar products may not always be reasonable. It is also possible that the water was hotter than usual or that the girl's skin barrier was compromised before the bath."
But, she goes on to say "the description of the girl complaining of her skin burning within a minute, supports the chemical burn diagnosis."
I reached out to Spin Master, the company behind Hatchimals. They never got back to me but they sent the website Snopes a statement saying they're saddened by the girls injuries and are aware of the Facebook post and are looking into the matter.
We know parents want and need to know if this is News or Noise. Until more research is done, we can't call this one, but we'll continue to keep you updated.
Created: December 13, 2017 11:34 PM
Copyright 2017 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company