Homicide victim remembered

June 08, 2018 11:08 PM

Relatives recalled the victim of a shooting in Rochester as a man trying to get his rocky life back on track before his death.

"It was crushing. It was so crushing,” exclaimed Wendy Stewart.  "He was only 25 years old. He hasn't even really lived his life like he should have."

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Stewart’s nephew, 25-year-old Devin Allen-Furtick, was found shot to death Thursday night at Roycroft Drive and Carter Street.

On Friday, Stewart joined a steady stream of relatives at Furtick’s mother’s home on Lincoln St. to offer support.  

“This family thinks that you can accomplish anything you want to,” said Stewart.  “To be cut down like that, that’s just terrible. It’s really terrible.”

The Major Crimes Unit of the Rochester Police Department investigated the homicide which some witnesses said started as a dispute on the street.

“We thought it was a firecracker,” recalled Naveair Stewart, whose home was on Carter Street just a ways up from the incident.  “But it wasn’t. It was a gunshot. And we only heard it once.”

Stewart said he ran from the scene to secure his five and 7-year-old nephews who had just stepped outside.

Larry Kirkland was only a few feet from his own front door on Roycroft drive when he stepped into the commotion on the street and found Furtick.  “He was just lying there. He was already dead,” Kirkland said. “I could tell. I checked his pulse and he was dead.”

Furtick’s aunt found his death particularly heartbreaking because the family believed he’d gotten his life on track after serving time in federal prison on drug charges.

In 2014, he pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute 28 grams of cocaine. In a contrite letter to U.S. District Judge Charles Siragusa, Furtick then 21, declared that he made no excuses and blamed no one but himself.

He apologized for his crime and declared his resolve to get away from what he described as an addiction to marijuana and, upon his release, to seek an honest job that involved working with his hands.

It was a goal Steward said he was on the verge of achieving when he died.  "It's really terrible,” she said.  “He just started a new job that day. And he was so proud that he finally was able to get the job. And he said he really liked it and he said 'I think things are gonna work out.'   And then he goes and gets killed."

As of Friday, Rochester police reported they had identified no suspects in the shooting.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the police. 


Charles Molineaux

Copyright 2018 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Relay Media Amp

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.