Advertisement

New homeowners okay after fire fills Fairport house with smoke

WHECTV
Updated: January 25, 2020 11:12 PM
Created: January 25, 2020 10:52 PM

FAIRPORT, N.Y. (WHEC) — Fairport resident who bought a new home got an unwelcoming housewarming present on Saturday.

The fire happened around 7 p.m. on Hurlburt Avenue when firefighters say the residents lit the fireplace to warm their home as they were moving in. Heavy smoke began to billow through the home and was still doing so when firefighters arrived.

Advertisement

"It appears to be a possible fire in the fireplace [that] extended into the walls and subsequently into the roof of the building," said Fairport fire chief Tom Santillo. "It's under investigation right now."

The ceiling and walls around the fireplace as well as the roof of the home and the chimney all had significant damage, but nobody was injured.


Copyright 2020 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook
Advertisement