Oneida County homicide leads to manhunt near Waterloo's outlet mall

Charles Molineaux
Updated: August 05, 2020 05:33 AM
Created: August 04, 2020 10:59 PM

JUNIUS, N.Y. (WHEC) — New York State Police say it was a homicide in Oneida County that set off an intense manhunt near Waterloo, across the street from the outlet mall.

Troopers and deputies from two counties combed the countryside Tuesday evening looking for one man.


"You aren't going to see anything in there because the brush is so thick. So it's going to be tough," neighbor Robert Lee said.

Lee says searchers were in for a tough slog through forest and bean fields near his home but says he wasn't rattled when people in this area got a reverse 911 notice to shelter indoors during a manhunt in a homicide case.

This pursuit started at a house in Oneida Castle in the Town of Vernon in Oneida County. That's where police report they found Tyler McBain, 22, dead in his home and started searching for two men they call persons of interest.

Troopers say they spotted the man on the thruway and chased them until they crashed their SUV in Junius just off Route 318 and just across the street to the west of the Waterloo Premium Outlets.

"These individuals are wanted for questioning on a homicide,” NYSP Capt. Barry Chase said. “So anybody, when you're looking for somebody like that, they are considered dangerous."

Troopers say one of the men was captured immediately and the other one disappeared into the countryside between Route 318 and the interstate.

That prompted the alert to the neighbors and brought out Ontario and Seneca County Deputies to help with the search, as well as Environmental Conservation Police and a State Police helicopter from Rochester.

As the evening wore on, police also sent up a drone and lined up searchers to keep the hunt going.

Troopers say they did work with security at the mall but because it seemed their targets took off to the west, they never considered the situation there a threat, but they urged continued vigilance.

"We are asking that anyone that sees anything suspicious, anybody crossing the Thruway on foot, immediately call 911," Capt. Chase said.

The police presence in the area has been dialed back dramatically since Tuesday night. 

The last News10NBC heard from the state police was, "Nothing new to report."

Copyright 2020 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook