Updated: May 14, 2022 10:58 AM
Created: May 14, 2022 10:54 AM
BATAVIA, N.Y. (WHEC) — The Red Cross is helping a Batavia resident after their house caught on fire. This all happened around nine last night at a home on Montclair Avenue in Batavia.
Crews said flames engulfed the first and second floors of the home and also extended into the attic. Several people were home at the time. They all got out before crews arrived.
One resident is being assisted by the Red Cross.
Firefighters say they had a hard time battling the flames at first, because of downed power lines and difficult access to the back of the house.
"It's a safety concern,” Batavia Interim Fire Chief Dan Herberger said. “They had some difficulty getting to the back of the house to gain entry, because we couldn't go around the easier way so they had some access difficulties. National grid got here and cut the line for us, so we're in good shape now."
No one inside the house was hurt, but one firefighter had to be taken to the hospital because of heat exhaustion.
The initial call was for a couch on fire, but officials have not confirmed that is the cause.
Copyright 2022 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company