Updated: October 07, 2019 03:18 PM
Created: October 07, 2019 02:35 PM
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Following the violent knife attack on an officer last week, the chief of the Rochester Police Department has issued a new directive.
Officer Denny Wright was attacked by a 28-year-old man inside a home on Peck Street on Friday. Wright was stabbed multiple times in his upper and lower body in what Singletary described as a "vicious and brutal attack."
Wright was alone when he responded to the call. Singletary said Good Samaritans helped restrain until other officers arrived.
Starting with Sunday night's midnight shift, all Rochester Police cars will have two officers in them until further notice.
Singletary says the department has implemented the directive in the past during "critical incidents" involving officers. He says the directive will be in place until further notice.
"As Chief, my concern is for the overall well being of my officers," Singletary said.
Wright was taken to Rochester General Hospital by responding officers and underwent surgery for his injuries. He remains in serious but stable condition.
Rochester Police and Monroe County District Attorney Sandra Doorley have not named or charged the suspect. He was not injured in the incident, but Singletary said he is being evaluated at Strong Memorial Hospital.
Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company