Son says he found his dad dead in Sodus nursing home

November 02, 2017 07:04 AM

A local nursing home is now under investigation by state officials after the death of a Wayne County man. 

Eighty-year-old Wayne Tuper suffered from dementia. His family made the tough choice to send him to Blossom View Nursing Home in Sodus in September. After spending just two weeks at the nursing home, Tuper’s son, Dave Tuper, says his father had fallen several times, suffered multiple bruises, head injuries, and even broken bones. 

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

"He was taken into the facility to help him get rehabilitated so he could come back home,” Tuper said.

Exactly 14 days after his family dropped him off, Dave Tuper says on his daily visit he made a disturbing discovery.

"I went in one morning opened the door and I knew as soon as I opened the door he was no longer with us,” Tuper said. “He was pale, white, I went over and touched his hand like I do every morning and he was cold.”

Tuper says he found his dad dead and quickly alerted the nursing staff.

"I went to go let the nurses know and they already knew but just failed to notify the family,” Tuper said. 

Tuper filed a complaint with the State Department of Health and he isn't the only one. In the last four years Blossom View, also known as Sodus Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, has been cited at least 51 times according to DOH website; the state average is 35.

"It happens over and over again, a slap on the wrist won't cure it,” Tuper said.

The NYS Department of Health says they have launched an investigation into what happened to Wayne Tuper at Blossom View, but they can't give details. When we asked about enforcement actions against facilities with multiple violations, a spokesman from the department said:

“DOH imposes enforcement actions against nursing homes for serious noncompliance. In addition to imposing enforcement actions, DOH takes proactive steps and provides guidance to nursing homes in order to ensure patient safety.”

So what does the nursing home have to say? An administrator declined to comment. The facility is owned by Personal Care, LLC in Tarrytown. Repeated attempts to contact their CEO and Chief Operating Officer were ignored.

Dave Tuper says even though an investigation won't bring his father back, he says proper training and staffing could save another person.

"You can't trust anybody even in these privately run facilities,” Tuper said. “There were patients there, my father was one, who couldn't speak for himself so I think it's important to help other who can't do that themselves.”

Wayne Tuper's death certificate says he died from cardiac arrest, but the family still has questions. The family tells News10NBC he fell on his head the night before he died. They have ordered an autopsy and it will take several months to come back.


Kaci Jones

Copyright 2017 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Relay Media Amp

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.