Created: October 06, 2019 05:31 PM
LYONS, N.Y. (WHEC) — Hazmat teams were called to investigate a potentially dangerous substance found on William Street in Lyons.
State Police say the substance has been deemed "non-hazardous."
The incident took place in the former Fox Drugs pharmacy according to the manager of the Ohman Theater. The manager says theater employees were working to clear the building as the theater plans to expand into the vacant space.
According to the manager, an employee found a dark bottle with a white substance labeled as sodium cyanide, a toxic chemical. The theater then alerted authorities to the situation.
Hazmat teams soon discovered the substance was actually sodium carbonate, a non-toxic compound.
The 2 p.m. show at the theater was canceled but police cleared the area around 4:15 p.m. and the theater says no other shows will be impacted.
Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company