August 04, 2017 10:49 PM
The Yates County Sheriff is warning residents after toxic algae was found in Keuka Lake.
Sheriff Ronald Spike says blue-green algae has been found in the north end of the lake. As a result, public park swimming has been closed at Red Jacket Park and Indian Pines Park.
The sheriff tells us the algae was discovered recently and is being tested. He has marine patrol units notifying nearby camps to check their lakefront.
Residents should avoid contact with blue-green algae. The DEC says it can look like "spilled green paint" or "pea soup".
Drinking or coming into contact with the algae can cause "vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reactions or breathing difficulties."
Updated: August 04, 2017 10:49 PM
Created: August 04, 2017 03:38 PM
Copyright 2017 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company