Advertisement

Victor man to share vaping illness story

Lynette Adams
Created: November 19, 2019 07:37 PM

VICTOR, N.Y. (WHEC) — It's a story that would scare any parent. Giovanni Marino from Victor is sharing it in hopes that it will stop other young people from vaping.

The Allendale Columbia graduate says he knew nothing about vaping, but after several months of vaping nicotine and then cannabis oil as a college freshman, it landed him in the hospital and he says at death's door.

Advertisement

He says he started just for the fun of it.

"My friend had one of these huge box mods and they let out huge clouds," Marino said. "I thought this is going to be a great party trick. I'll get a lot of attention if I can blow rings."

What started as just fun became more serious after only five months.

"My nicotine content just went up and up and the juices that I was using and eventually I just became addicted," he said.

Fast forward to September, 2019, the start of Marino's sophomore year.

He was still vaping, but something happened.

Marino went on vacation with his family and became violently ill. He couldn't keep food down and had a high temperature. His parents took him to the hospital, where he was given lots of fluids and sent home.

Hours later he became sick again. Marino says his breathing became so labored, he went back to the hospital and learned he had ground-glass nodules of the lung, also known as shattered glass lung syndrome.

"The chemicals that you're inhaling cause cuts and the alveoli to not be able to expand. It tries to expand and when it expands its cracks," Marino explained.

This causes bleeding and mucous in the bottom of your lungs, he said. Marino says three times during his stay at the hospital, he almost didn't make it.  So why is he telling his story?

"It's just not worth it...nicotine is one of the worst chemicals you could put into your body."

Marino advises parents to support children trying to quit vaping. He says some kids don't come forward for fear of being punished.

Marino will tell his story at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday at Finger Lakes Community College at a lecture hall on the main campus.

It's one of several events to mark the "Great American Smoke Out."


Copyright 2019 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook
Advertisement