Superintendent provides update on Victor CSD ransomware attack

Patrick Moussignac
Updated: February 04, 2021 07:40 PM
Created: February 04, 2021 05:35 PM

VICTOR, N.Y. (WHEC) — The Victor Central School District gave an update on the ransomware attack that has virtually shut down the district's computer servers for almost a week now.

Since the attack, all students were switched back to full-time remote learning as the district continues to work on getting their systems back online again.

Superintendent Tim Terranova says the district has been able to restore its phone system and emergency protocol procedures. This allowed the district to be able to bring the first group of students back this week.

The malware attack was first discovered on the district's computer servers over the weekend. Since then, school officials have been unable to access the system, locked by the ransomware.

Terranova says both the FBI and Homeland Security are still investigating the matter.

This weekend, computer experts will continue to work on restoring the rest of the computer servers with hopes of completing their work by Sunday. If completed, Terranova says blue cohort students in grades 4-12 will be able to attend their in-person classes as early as Monday.

"I'd love to know by early Sunday if we can do it or not," Terranova said. "Then what I typically do is, not only send an email to all our community members, parents in the community, but also by robocall."

Terranova says soon all district staff members will be trained in how to better spot "phishing emails" as a further measure to help prevent this from happening again.

News10NBC's Patrick Moussignac asked Terranova how the district is being held hostage financially. All he said was he didn't know the exact dollar amount.


Copyright 2021 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook