Good Question: Who collects unpaid Thruway tolls?

Updated: October 22, 2020 08:57 AM
Created: October 22, 2020 04:58 AM

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Here's a Good Question—who's responsible for collecting bills racked up along the Thruway?

 We’ve been telling you to get ready because it's finally happening. The Thruway is going cashless in November. 


You won't be able to pay your tolls with bills or coins along your trip. Instead, readers overhead at gantries will scan your EZ-Pass. If you don't have one, they'll take a picture of your license plate and bill the registered owner with the DMV.

The DMV’s website walks you through the process:

  • A bill is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle approximately 30-40 days after travel
  • After the bill arrives, motorists have 30 days to pay a toll bill
  • If payment isn’t received by the due date, a second toll bill is sent in 30 days with a $5 late fee
  • If second bill is not paid by the due date, the toll bill escalates to a toll violation
  • Approximately 100 days after the date of travel, the motorist is mailed a Notice of Toll Violation (in an orange envelope) with a violation fee
  • Violation fees are $50 per trip
  • If a notice of violation is not paid within 15 days of the issue date then the notice of violation may be referred to a collection agency
  • Failure to respond to three or more Notices of Violation within a five year period may result in suspension of a motorist’s vehicle registration by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles under 15 NYCRR 127.14

So who makes sure what's owed actually gets paid?  The site addresses that too.

If a notice of violation is not paid within 15 days of the issue date, then the notice of violation may be referred to a collection agency. Collection agencies are responsible for collecting the tolls owed and the violation fees incurred. 

If your case has been sent to a collection agency, they will send you correspondence through the postal service. Motorists may also make a payment with the collection agency online

To dispute a debt, motorists should contact the collection agency directly using the number referenced in the notice. Collection agencies are required to comply with New York state law concerning debt collection.

News10NBC's Brennan Somers answered your questions during a Facebook Live. If you missed it, watch it here.


If you have a question you'd like answered, email

Copyright 2020 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook