Updated: September 17, 2020 11:19 PM
Created: September 17, 2020 09:17 PM
BRIGHTON, N.Y. (WHEC) — Construction on the Whole Foods Plaza is underway according to the contracting company building it.
Construction is expected to last until the spring of 2021.
Some neighbors have raised concerns about an increase in traffic from the project planned along Monroe Avenue, and the group Brighton Grassroots sued to stop the project.
Brighton grassroots said in a statement, "The judge has told them 'You are building at their own risk.' Brighton town residents know all the special deals given are just wrong!"
The contracting company released the following statement on the project:
“Work on the Whole Foods Plaza project is well underway including the construction of the new Starbucks and Whole Foods. Construction is expected to last a little over a year with the first store opening in spring of 2021. In spite of the Wegman Families’ efforts to stymie competition in favor of higher prices and less choices offered to the shoppers of Monroe County, their continued funding of legal action against the people of Brighton will not stop us from moving forward.”
Brighton Grassroots admitted earlier this year that Wegmans financially backed their efforts in opposition of the Whole Foods Plaza.
Copyright 2020 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company