Couple who hosted party that sparked RFD lawsuit and condemnation “surprised and disappointed about the allegations”

We are hearing from Dr. Nicholas and Mary Nicosia, the homeowners who threw the party that has sparked a lawsuit by a city firefighter and condemnation across our community.

“My wife Mary and I were surprised and disappointed about the allegations that have been made against us, and by the responses being posted on social media,” Dr. Nicosia wrote.
“We strongly disagree with how we are being characterized and are hopeful that the community will hold its judgment while we seek to clear our names. Highland Hospital has asked me to step down from its board of directors, and I have agreed to do so, so that I can focus on my efforts on restoring our reputations.”

Dr. Nicosia was the team dentist for the Rochester Americans.

[anvplayer video=”5128345″ station=”998131″]

In a statement the Americans said “We have chosen to end Dr. Nicosia’s relationship with our team upon learning of recent allegations. We do not tolerate racism in any form and it has no place in our world.”

The Landmark Society of Western New York tweeted “Mary Nicosia, one of our board members, has been suspended effective immediately.”

The lawsuit filed yesterday by Rochester fire fighter Jerrod Jones says he was compelled by his captain to go to a private party at the Nicosia home on East Avenue.
Jones’ lawyer described what was at the party.

Nate McMurray, Advocates for Justice: “He saw signs mocking Juneteenth under which there were buckets of fried chicken. He saw on the ground, posts with the pictures of elected officials throughout the yard.”

Attorney Nate McMurray did not take reporter questions at the news conference Thursday however he had a warning for people who attended the party on July 7th.

“We are going to look into this. We’re going to go to court. We’re going to interview the people that were there,” McMurray said. “Yes! If you are listening and you were there, I will be coming to interview you. We are going to find out what happened.”

The RFD’s internal investigation is over and now it’s up to the captain to accept or decline the punishment. Captain Jeffrey Krywy is suspended.
The RPD is investigating whether any police officers were at the private party.