Lithium battery fire at RIT; no serious injuries

UPDATE: At 3:17 p.m. on Sunday Henrietta Fire District units were dispatched to the Nathaniel Rochester Hall on the RIT campus for a reported lithium ion battery fire on the 8th floor.  Crews arrived to find a fire in a work area, on the 8th floor.  It took about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.  There were no serious injuries.  Due to the volatile nature of lithium ion batteries, a hazardous materials incident was also declared.  This is now a common practice due to the chemical reactions involved with these fires.  The battery in question today was for an “E Bike” type scooter.  These types of batteries have caused several fatal fires in the NYC area.  Assistance was provided at the scene by the City of Rochester FD, Gates FD, CHS EMS and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.

UPDATE: RIT said it was a small fire that started in a lab in Nathaniel Rochester Hall where some students were working. There was minor water damage. There were no injuries, and no students were displaced.

HENRIETTA, N.Y. – Henrietta firefighters are on the scene of a possible fire from a Lithium ion battery at RIT. The fire has been knocked down and is under control.

News10NBC has a crew on the way, and will update the story as we learn more.