Family starts fund for funeral of Gates man killed by a bus on Colfax Street

UPDATE: Rochester Police said Michael Rivoli is the name of the man who died after getting hit by a bus on Colfax Street on Thursday. Rivoli of Gates was 73 years old and worked for the Ontario Bus Company. Investigators say Rivoli was walking across Fisher Street as other buses were leaving the parking lot when he was hit.

The family of Rivoli started a GoFundMe page for his funeral and memorial. You can donate here. The page for the fund, organized by Rivoli’s daughter, says:

We want to honor this man who lit up a room, argue with you and make you laugh all at the same time. He would give you the shirt of his back if he saw you didnt have one. He served his country he worked hard his whole life, Working from morning till night at a whapping 73 years old and never stopped. His favorite was karaoke he loved to sing and get the crowd going.

He lived a simple life but his love was larger than life! He loved all his friends, co-workers, family so so much and it showed. The loss of our father will never be the same. We appreciate everything and the love and support from everyone.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — A man was killed after being hit by a school bus this Thursday morning on Colfax Street in the city.

There were no kids on board at the time, but Rochester Police are looking into the situation because the driver of the bus left the scene.

News10NBC talked to police about their investigation. They tell us the victim was a man in his 70s, and he was crossing the street when he was hit.

Rochester Police say at around 7:15 am a man was killed in the Ontario Bus Inc. school bus depot located near the corners of Lexington Avenue, and Colfax Street. Lieutenant Greg Bello says the driver of the bus continued on his way after hitting the man.

“Our officers were able to track that bus, and we were able to get the bus stopped in the Town of Greece, and at this point, we have the driver detained, and we’re investigating the circumstances as to why the bus fled the scene, after fatally striking a pedestrian here,” said Bello.

He says children were not on the bus at the time. As far as we know, the driver was leaving the lot on his way to pick up kids on his bus route. What’s being investigated now, is if any foul play was involved.

“Leaving the scene of a fatal accident is a crime,” said Bello. He continued, “So, but again our investigators are here investigating the circumstances. So while we’re investigating this as potentially a crime of leaving the scene. Still early stages of what led to the accident. Why the operator fled the scene? That’s all going to come out as part of our investigation as we move forward on this.”

The bus lot was closed to traffic for several hours as investigators searched for additional clues. They are hoping surveillance video will help.

“We’re looking at video,” said Bello. “We’re talking to witnesses, any potential witnesses to figure out what the circumstances of this crash were, and we’ll see where the investigation takes us.”

Late Thursday afternoon News10NBC talked to Gary Yuzbashev, the owner of the bus company. He couldn’t share much, only to say the man who died was 73 years old and was a school bus driver. Yuzbashev says the man walked in between two buses, crossing in front of one when he was hit. He finished by saying the driver didn’t know he had hit someone.