Rochester firefighters rescue family dog trapped in burning home

[anvplayer video=”5141885″ station=”998131″]

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – A Rochester family is picking up the pieces after a fire ripped through their home on Rohr Street Friday mid-morning.

News10NBC went back on scene and met, Chaniquia Akins. She was at the home trying to salvage her belongings. She lives at the home with her mother, Sharon Akins. Chaniquia says she wasn’t home at the time of the fire. Her mom, and Milo, the family dog,  were about to take a nap when the house erupted in flames.

“She was just about to lay down and go to sleep,” Chaniquia told us.

Chaniquia says her mother’s worst fear came to life when flames tore through their family home.

“Her worst fear is being trapped in a fire, so that had her really shook up its terrible.”

Crews were everywhere, on the roof, and inside, trying to put flames out. Chaniquia says a fire alarm went off and her mom made it out, but Milo, the family dog was still trapped inside. Witnesses told us crews raced inside through intense flames to save Milo.

We also met Juan Leon , a neighbor who dialed 911 . He says he watched everything unfold from his second story window. He says he heard someone alerting fire crews to check inside the house.

“He yelled and he said, “There’s somebody there”, they took out a cat and the dog. The dog was really scared,” Leon said.

Chaniquia says her mom is recovering and Milo is too. She said Milo is back to his normal playful energetic self. She says the fire was devastating, and they lost so much, but nothing could replace Milo and her mom. 

“I just want to say thank you to everyone who came out here and made sure that my mom was fine.”

If you’d like to help the Akins family, you can find their GoFundMe page here.