Man, 73, dies after his car crashes into school bus in Webster

[anvplayer video=”5193657″ station=”998131″]

WEBSTER, N.Y. — Webster Police say a man, 73, died after he ran a stop sign and crashed into a Wayne Central school bus on Wednesday.

The school bus became engulfed in flames during the crash at Lake Road and Route 250, which left two others injured. The crash happened around 1:15 p.m.

Police identified the driver of the car as William Fierstein of Webster, who died at the scene. They say it’s unclear if he died from injuries in the crash or if he experienced a medical emergency.

The bus was heading east on Lake Road, carrying 22 students and three adults back to school from a field trip, according to the district. Police say the driver ran the stop sign on Webster Road. Some students had minor injuries but they were able to exit before the bus became engulfed in flames.

Webster Police thanked the bus driver, two chaperones, and students who helped to get everyone off the bus.

Fierstein’s dog was with him and was also killed in the crash. Webster Police are still investigating the crash. New York State Police, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, and the state’s Department of Transportation Investigative Unit also responded to the crash.

News10NBC spoke with a man who heard the crash and witnessed the aftermath, as well as several neighbors who say they are relieved the students made it off the bus.

Parents were reunited with their children at nearby Webster Park. In a statement, the district said: “We are grateful to our local emergency responders for their immediate and exceptional care of our students and staff,” according to a statement from the district.

“Prior to our arrival the bus driving students left the scene and walked down lake road to the next intersection, I think to be away from the chaos that was kind of unfolding there. The Wayne central school district staff responded, and we let them work through their unification process to notify parents and reunite their students with their parents.”

Webster Police Chief Dennis Kohlmeier