Ten students honored for good deeds at Do the Right Thing awards
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Ten local students were honored on Thursday for their brave actions, giving back to the community, and other good deeds at the Do the Right Thing awards ceremony.
Students received the awards at the Public Safety Building in front of friends and family along with representatives from the Monroe County Executive office, mayor’s office, and the Rochester Police Department. The award recipients range from pre-kindergarten to seniors in high school.
“The test is never what do we do when there’s eyes upon us,” said RPD chief David Smith. “It’s what do we do when there’s no one around. Do we still make that good decision?”
This was the first Do the Right Thing awards ceremony of the school year and News10NBC’s Emily Putnam was the emcee. Tune into News10NBC TODAY, which runs from 4:30 a.m to 7 a.m., starting on Monday to learn about the good deeds that the students are recognized for.
Here is the list of Do the Right Thing awards recipients:
- Lily Clark, fourth grader at Lakeshore Elementary in Greece
- Nicholas Fusilli II, fourth grader at Plank Road South Elementary in Webster
- Austin Gillis, 12th grader at McQuaid Jesuit High School
- Shuaib Hussein, sixth grader at Roberto Clemente School #8 in RCSD
- Matthew Klinkbeil, eighth grader at John Williams School #5 in RCSD
- Grayson Nguyen, third grader at Durand Eastman Primary in East Irondequoit
- Madeline Scahill, 11th Grade at Bishop Kearney High School
- Nyla Serret, pre-kindergarten at Rochester Early Childhood Center in RCSD
- Kwynn Walton Jr. second grader at Nathaniel Hawthorne School #25 in RCSD
- Aubrey Williams, seventh grader at Rochester Prep Chili Campus Charter Middle School
Nominations are open year-round for the Do the Right Thing Award. Any student in grades K-12 in a Monroe County school is eligible for a nomination. The good deed must have occurred within one year of the nomination. Anyone over 18 years of age can submit a nomination form including family, friends, school staff, and coaches.