Two people hospitalized while working on transformer behind Gannett building

[anvplayer video=”5145481″ station=”998131″]

ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Two people are hospitalized after an electrical accident on Tuesday behind the Gannett building on South Fitzhugh Street.

Rochester Fire Department said the workers were replacing a live transformer across from District Attorney’s office when it exploded. The accident shut down the Hall of Justice in the morning.

RFD Captain David Abdoch says one of the injured men was burned badly. He was burned on his face, arms, and hands. The other man was taken to the hospital for observation.

The transformer is just outside the Gannett building, next to the Civic Center Garage entrance on South Fitzhugh Street. Power was cut to a few neighboring buildings.

The Hall of Justice lost power briefly on three of its five floors. Morning court sessions were canceled. Parts of the Civic Center Parking Garage also lost power. We asked Abdoch why electricity was still flowing to this transformer if workers were replacing it.

“Right now, it’s all under investigation. Right now they’re going to figure out how and why,” Abdoch said. “But I mean anything with live power can be bad for anyone who is not trained and doesn’t know what they’re doing and to touch it.”

Abdoch says both workers are in stable condition. Afternoon court sessions will resume at the Hall of Justice.