Girlfriend of Brittanee Drexel’s killer pleads not guilty to lying to FBI; could face up to 5 years

Girlfriend of Brittanee Drexel’s killer faces charges

Girlfriend of Brittanee Drexel's killer faces charges

The longtime girlfriend of the man convicted of kidnapping, raping and murdering Brittanee Drexel is now charged in connection with the case.

When Angel Vause met with investigators in 2022, she admitted to being with Raymond Moody the night Brittanee Drexel was murdered.

It was her meetings with police that helped them crack the case after so many years.

But now, investigators believe she wasn’t entirely truthful about her involvement.

She claimed at the time that she and Moody saw Brittanee walking on the strip in Myrtle Beach in April 2009, and approached her about “partying” with them, and she willingly got in their SUV.

But in the three-count indictment unsealed today, the FBI says that was a lie — and that Brittanee was abducted under false pretenses.

“She made a statement back in May of 2022, and we identified three inconsistencies with what we know to be true,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Winston Holliday Jr. said.

Raymond Moody pleaded guilty to raping and murdering the 17-year-old Gates Chili student in October 2022. In his confession, Moody was careful to say that Vause had left him with Drexel and wasn’t present when he killed her and buried her body.

Vause was never charged with Brittanee’s death. But investigators say Vause lied about where she was when Moody raped and murdered Brittanee. They also say Vause claimed Brittanee had her phone on her, when Vause had already taken and disposed of it.

So why now? It’s been more than a year and a half since Moody confessed to the murder.

“Obviously reconstructing some of the timeline, some of the forensic data is time-consuming and more difficult when it’s stale. And so that would be it, just good investigative work — but it took some time,” Holliday said.

Vause pleaded not guilty to three counts of making false statements to the FBI. She was released on a $10,000 bond. She faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Brittanee’s mother, Dawn Drexel, was not in the courtroom for Wednesday’s arraignment. News10NBC reached out to her, but she declined comment, saying only she needs time to meet with federal investigators.