New details released as Irondequoit man accused of killing, dismembering girlfriend pleads not guilty

[anvplayer video=”5045308″ station=”998131″]

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — The Irondequoit man accused of killing and dismembering his girlfriend Wednesday morning pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree murder, tampering with evidence, and two counts of concealing a corpse.

Seth Larson made the plea in Monroe County Court as part of his arraignment. He appeared in person.

Judge Karen Bailey Turner set Larson’s bail at $1 million cash, and a $2 million bond or $5 million partially secured bond.

Prosecutor Perry Duckles had asked for a $3 million bail amid new evidence and concerns Larson would attempt to go "off the grid" and flee police again if he was released from custody.

"I asked for bail that I thought was reasonable based upon the circumstances of this case," Duckles said. "I’m glad the judge leaned more toward my recommendation and counsels"

Larson is accused of killing his girlfriend, Lisa Shuler, 37, after she was found dead and dismembered outside the Irondequoit home she Larson on May 25. More of her remains were found in Durand Lake.

"It was clear to us that Mr. Larson left his residence, in Irondequoit, which we are alleging is the scene of the crime, on Monday the 24th he checked in to a Days Inn down in West Virginia," Duckles said.

Duckles said Larson listed that he lived in Palmyra, NY instead of Irondequoit when he checked in.

"It was our belief that Mr. Larson was not planning on returning, and some of the items in his room indicated that he was willing to basically disappear," Duckles said.

Larson was arrested in Lewis County, West Virginia, on June 3 and charged with murder after he called 911 and went to a hospital. He pleaded not guilty to the charges on June 18 after he was extradited from West Virginia to Irondequoit.

Duckles’ concerns were based on new evidence released Wednesday, which included a conversation Larson had with employees at a hotel in West Virginia on a cell phone he bought right before leaving town. There were also recordings of conversations Larson had with deputies as he was transported back to Monroe County.

Additionally, items, ranging from camping gear to maps and backpacks were discovered in Larson’s hotel room after he turned himself in.

Larson’s attorney, Regina Harper asked for Larson’s bail to be set at $50,000 because he had turned himself over to police.

Members of Schuler’s family were present for the arraignment.

His trial is set to begin on Feb. 7, 2022.