Day two of testimony concludes for trial of former Hilton principal
[anvplayer video=”5139501″ station=”998131″]
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Testimony continues on Wednesday for the trial of trial of Kirk Ashton. He is the former principal at Northwood Elementary School in Hilton accused of sexually abusing 26 students.
News10NBC’s Patrick Moussignac is covering the trial. You can follow him on Twitter for live updates.
On Tuesday afternoon, jurors heard from one student and also from the student’s mother. The last witness to take the stand was an officer from the Greece Police Department.
The student who testified was a 12-year-old male. He testified about how he was allegedly abused by Ashton. The student told the court that Ashton would often invite him and other male students to his office. There they would eat their lunch, talk about school, and even play games.
The student went on to explain that Ashton would ask him to sit on his lap on several occasions. At the same time, the student said Ashton would also rub his neck. The student said Ashton would slide his hand underneath his clothes, touching the top of his buttock or the sides of his hips.
The student’s mother then took the stand. She explained how her son first told her about the inappropriate touching during Christmas break when the child was in the fifth grade.
She went on to explain that she and her husband contacted Child Protective Services and then met with Bivona Child Advocates before calling the police. Prosecutors then questioned a Greece Police Officer who as part of the investigation took pictures of Ashton’s office after a search warrant was issued.
Due to the nature of the case, the judge put a gag order in place preventing even the attorneys from commenting on the case.
See our coverage:
- February 2022: Judge reviews grand jury minutes in sex abuse case against former Hilton principal
- October 2021: Community upset by release of former Northwood Elementary principal accused of sexual abuse
- September 2021: Hilton principal accused of sexually abusing students resigns
- August 2021: New lawsuit alleges Hilton principal abused child over 3-year span, accuses district of negligence
- July 2021: New lawsuit alleges Hilton principal abused student on weekly basis for 6 years