Man killed in East End was acquitted in 2015 Boys and Girls Club mass shooting

[anvplayer video=”5158937″ station=”998131″]

BREAKING: Rochester Police say that Michael Mathis, who was found not guilty in the 2015 Boys & Girls Club mass shooting, was shot to death Saturday in the East End.

Mathis, 25 of Gates, was found with multiple gunshot wounds at a parking lot on East Avenue and North Union Street. He was rushed to Strong Memorial Hospital where he died. RPD says they have no suspects in custody.

Mathis was one of three people charged in a mass shooting in August 2015 on Genesee Street. Three were killed, four wounded, while leaving a basketball game at the Boys & Girls Club.

One other suspect, Jalen Everett, was killed in Rochester in 2015. Everett was found guilty but his conviction was overturned by a judge. On his second trial, he was not guilty. The third suspect, Johnny Blackshell, was convicted and is serving a life sentence.

RPD said they haven’t yet determined a motive.

“Yes, it is possible it is retribution for the Boys and Girls Club shooting. Yes, it is possible it is in retaliation for another unknown incident. Yes, it is possible he was killed after a simple argument by somebody who did not even know who he was,” said a statement from RPD.

[anvplayer video=”5158823″ station=”998131″]

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – An investigation is still underway after one man was killed in the East End district Saturday night. Police say the shooting happened in the parking lot at the intersection of East Avenue and North Union Street.

Patrick Joe Struble has lived in the area for 30 years. This is the second homicide in the East End district within the last year. Although Struble is concerned, he says it’s not going to stop him from what he loves doing the most: taking evening walks.

The East End area is typically a popular scene where many grab a drink and hang out on a Saturday night.

This past Saturday night was different. Shots rang out just before midnight, and police found a 25-year-old man wounded multiple times in a parking lot.       

He was pronounced dead at Strong Hospital.

This is officially the second homicide in Rochester of 2023.

Officials say it seems there was an argument between the victim and suspect, resulting in the gunfire. There are no suspects at this time though the investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with additional information should call 911.

In June 2022, Yasier Clark, 24, was shot and killed near East Avenue and Lawrence Street. Anthony Grimes, 17 at the time, was charged.